TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion for June 2007

To start things anew in regard to discussion of minor news items and the like, we're going to be starting a monthly General Discussion thread in the forum. The idea is in the same vein as the CTDWAT thread, in that the minor and mundane news items of the month, as well as random musings of an equally minor nature, can be kept to one thread, and also that the monthly nature of this threads should hopefully stop things from getting so clogged up. The General Discussion threads will be pinned for the month they cover before being replaced by the new thread. Hopefully, this will keep the minor discussion going without things getting bogged down, and maybe even spawn some decent discussion. The current CTDWAT thread will be unpinned but, for now, will be kept around so people have a frame of reference.

To get things going, I'll repost the news item concerning Dwayne Johnson getting divorced. You're encouraged to bring over the minor news discussion of the past day or so into this thread so as to get the ball rolling here.

As it pertains to questioning whether a certain news item warrants a thread, don't make a show if it. Bring it to our attention by way if a PM, and we'll check it out. If it doesn't deserve a thread of its own, it'll closed or merged with this one.

Rock has split up with his wife

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and wife Dany Garcia Johnson have separated, they have announced in a statement to PEOPLE.

"While certain aspects of our relationship have changed, we are both vitally important to each other's lives," their statement reads. "We will continue to advance and manage our business interests, our philanthropic efforts and most importantly the raising of our child together, as a loving team. We've been fortunate enough to spend the last 17 years together as a couple and look forward to spending the rest our lives together as best friends and business partners."

Johnson, 35, was a professional wrestler before turning to acting in The Mummy Returns, The Scorpion King and Walking Tall. In 1997, he married Dany, now the CEO of a wealth management firm.

They have a 5-year-old daughter, Simone Alexander

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20041195,00.html

I just want to point out, again, the purpose of this thread:

The idea is in the same vein as the CTDWAT thread, in that the minor and mundane news items of the month, as well as random musings of an equally minor nature, can be kept to one thread

Feel free to create new threads as long as the topic is at least halfway meaningful. We're going to pull back on being so strict about which topics deserve an entire thread or not. As long as we don't see a million threads about, say, John Cena saw Ron Killings in an airport and they looked at one another, everything should be fine. That's the sort of stuff that belongs in these monthly threads.

Looks like KeNitro is going to be a actual tag team:

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/articles/3960574/dykstrafoxy

When Johnny Nitro entered the ring for Raw’s Eight-Man Tag Team Match this past Monday, he wasn’t the only Superstar donning fur. His new tag team partner, Kenny Dykstra, sported what Jerry “The King†Lawler called “road kill†slung over his shoulders.

“It’s the actual fox from The Fox and the Hound of the Walt Disney series,†Kenny joked.

But what is it, really? WWE.com asked some of the Superstars in the Raw locker room to weigh in on Dykstra’s new accessory.

“I bet it’s made from the remnants of Mr. McMahon’s WrestleMania hair shavings,†one Superstar guessed.

Another Raw Superstar agreed with Lawler’s description.

“One person’s road kill is another person’s weird, weird treasure,†he said.

Whatever you do, don’t call it road kill in front of Dykstra. This fur is a symbol of anything but death – representing a companionship that is set for a big future.

“Nitro went out and got it for me because he’s my new best friend,†Dykstra said.

Kenny said Nitro brought him the pelt from the wilds of Los Angeles. The gift is unique to Johnny’s end of the country – fuzzy gold to someone hailing from Worcester, Mass.

“Nitro hunted it for me,†Kenny repeated several times. “Nitro – that’s what I call him. He’s Johnny Nitro to you.â€

Kenny insists that although the two Superstars come from very different places, they share the same personality.

“We’re very much the same person,†he said. “We’ve both ruled the tag team division, and clearly will again. We are both chiseled out of stone with faces meant for television. Now, we even both have the furs. We might as well be brothers.â€

Despite falling to The Hardys in tag team action just moments earlier, Kenny was beaming as he spoke.

“Everybody’s just jealous,†Kenny said about his colleagues’ comments. “I know how many people are jealous over the fox. I was the second best-dressed Superstar on Raw. A regular Hollywood A-lister.â€

Someone might find it hard to thank Johnny Nitro properly for such a thoughtful gesture, but Kenny has something in mind.

“My gift in return to Nitro is being a tag team partner to him so we can win tag team gold,†he said.

He added that there are no two Superstars better matched for the job. Kenny even went so far as to say he and Nitro are a better fit than Matt and Jeff Hardy.

“We have a new goal in mind - becoming the next World Tag Team Champions,†Kenny claims.

In order to accomplish that goal, will Kenny be able to step away from the mirror and perform up to his partner’s standards in the ring? Or will his special gift start to smell before they even get that far?

I may be in the minority with this idea:

But since it seems like Nitro won't have anything to do with Melina anymore, and going by his last name (And since I've re-read the book "Death of WCW" again recently)...Kenny should either change his last name to or add the nickname "Thunder"...

And they could call themselves WCW.

They already have ready made merchandise too...the Alliance-Era WCW Logo T-Shirts.

The roadkill is entertaining but Kenny is as good as done. He'll never have a meaningful role in WWE unless we suddenly find out about some hidden pliable charisma underneath all the bland. He needs change all around, whether it's getting some new gear, changing his last name again, or something else. To think he was the stand-out in the Spirit Squad

Super Crazy!

See...he's foreign, AND he's fat! It works both ways!

OK...who'd be Saturday Night then?

As long as they bring Dusty Rhodes out to say "the Muthaship" then I'm all for it.

Super Crazy!

See...he's foreign, AND he's fat! It works both ways!

Well played. :)

What's up with WWE's horrible promos this week? First Vince/Lashley on ECW, and now Batista/Edge on SD. The Batista/Edge deal just now was horrible, it was like two ten year olds complaining.

Nitro will be fine if he and Nitro tear up the tag division. The kid is only 20-21 years old. They can get over huge with athletic and creative double team moves. I think leaving Kenny in the tag scene for a few years will be good for him. Too many younger guys have been pushed to the top too soon recently.

Kenny needs to dump Mickie. Divas and wrestlers are awfully bad for the wrestlers usually. Let's take a look:

Stacy Keibler: Test(fired) David Flair(not hired)

Lita: Matt Hardy (fired)

Luna: Gangrel (Fired)

Kelly Kelly: Test(fired again)

The only Wrestling/Diva couple I see that's survived so far is Sharmell/Booker and Steph/HHH.

94ec6cab15.jpg

This was debated in the other CWDWAT thread, but according to the news mill, this was the official Vengeance 2007 Poster, but it'll be changed since Undertaker is injured unless they photoshop Edge in his place.

Punk and Maria seem to be working out pretty well for them professionally. I'll grant it, neither one of them is main eventing right now, but neither one looks like they are on the chopping block.

It became a magazine cover, Douchebag.

Giving Kenny the nickname Thunder and having the team be called "Nitro and Thunder" is perhaps the greatest idea I've read in weeks.

Also from the Observer:

The latest sign in what insiders are seeing as the eventuality of Stephanie and HHH running the company with Shane as more of a P.R. figurehead over the long-term is Stephanie has not only taken over the talent side, but now is overseeing the web site. There has always been a major philosophical difference regarding the site between Stephanie & HHH, who want it to be nothing but a place to sell merchandise and for storyline advancement, and Shane, who feels that pretending wrestling is real on the web site and not delivering real news, when every other wrestling web site does, makes you a laughing stock. The problem is, like so many things, Vince goes back-and-forth depending on how the wind is blowing. But with Stephanie put in charge of overseeing the site, run by Michael Cole, it is the Stephanie/HHH vision that has won out. Kevin Dunn had been in charge of the site, and he still will run it from a business standpoint, setting the budget, hiring and firing, but Stephanie will be setting the creative and reporting direction and will be in charge of throwing anything out that is seen as compromising characters or storylines. Cole will be running day-to-day operations of the site. Chris Chambers, who was hired by run the site, has been forced out of the company. He had been out of power for the most part for around a year. The feeling is that Shane and Stephanie will be publicly portrayed as brother and sister running the business, but Stephanie will have all the real power. Shane will be the McMahon who attends business meetings and represents the company to the public. The gist is, his strong suit is that he's very personable and gets along with people well. Vince has always used the good cop/bad cop routine, for example, right now, using John Laurinaitis in the bad cop role. Stephanie isn't bad as far as representing the company, but Shane is better socially and Stephanie is the one more like Vince when it comes to business and business decisions

From the observer

Chris Benoit

has been told he's moving to raw in the draft.

and I will believe it when i see it.

Rob Van Dam has posted up a new blog on his MySpace page

(myspace.com/5starcomics). Regarding the several internet reports on his status with WWE, RVD wrote, "About the internet rumors- one thing I have to know. How can "reporters" put their name on reports that continually end up being bull sh*t and maintain any credibility? Always wondered that. As for how it feels reading about yourself? Sometimes it's flattering, sometimes it's offensive, sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's just silly but too lame to be funny." He also added, "I can save everyone a lot of time by letting everyone know that I won't be doing wrestling related interviews at this time, other than WWE-appointed."

There is no truth to the rumors of Droz supposedly being released from WWE. In fact, he just posted up a column on WWE.come with his predictions for One Night Stand.

source: Wrestling Observer

So Stephanie will be Vince and Shane will be Linda??

its really a damn shame that after having to put up with the ego maniac and sometimes completely clueless vince mcmahon, the company will be ran by someone just as bad, if not worse in stephanie. i know one thing, the wwe must have more ass kissers/yes men than any company in history considering how things are run in that company.

Getting back to Kenny for a moment...let's face an unpleasant fact. The Spirit Squad will end up being the career death for all the guys involved in it. Some of them like Nemeth and Mitchell weren't shit to begin with, some like Mondo were iffy and glad to get a gimmick in WWE, but some of the guys were actually pushed down in OVW and seemed to have a future (Kenny and Jeter). Mitchell has been released with no fanfare, while Mondo and Nemeth barley make OVW TV any more doing a silly SS variation called the Frat Boys. Jeter is mostly used in OVW as a jobber these days.

See, the disturbing aspect of Kenny only being 21 or so is that he was thrown on TV in a bad gimmick and now he's mostly been jobbing after that gimmick was over. I wonder if he can be salvaged at this point, or if he'll just end up like the vast majority of Raw's roster...pointless.

If the midcard wasn't so murky, Kenny could have a solid spot. It's the whole "We have no clue where we're going, so we're going to stick random people in tag teams, and have somewhat random matches every week" syndrome that's fucking it up, not the fact that he was in the Squad. There's no "This guy wrestles this guy because of this", there's just "Here comes somebody...oh and here's someone else, and there they go!".

Also from the Observer:

The latest sign in what insiders are seeing as the eventuality of Stephanie and HHH running the company with Shane as more of a P.R. figurehead over the long-term is Stephanie has not only taken over the talent side, but now is overseeing the web site. There has always been a major philosophical difference regarding the site between Stephanie & HHH, who want it to be nothing but a place to sell merchandise and for storyline advancement, and Shane, who feels that pretending wrestling is real on the web site and not delivering real news, when every other wrestling web site does, makes you a laughing stock. The problem is, like so many things, Vince goes back-and-forth depending on how the wind is blowing. But with Stephanie put in charge of overseeing the site, run by Michael Cole, it is the Stephanie/HHH vision that has won out. Kevin Dunn had been in charge of the site, and he still will run it from a business standpoint, setting the budget, hiring and firing, but Stephanie will be setting the creative and reporting direction and will be in charge of throwing anything out that is seen as compromising characters or storylines. Cole will be running day-to-day operations of the site. Chris Chambers, who was hired by run the site, has been forced out of the company. He had been out of power for the most part for around a year. The feeling is that Shane and Stephanie will be publicly portrayed as brother and sister running the business, but Stephanie will have all the real power. Shane will be the McMahon who attends business meetings and represents the company to the public. The gist is, his strong suit is that he's very personable and gets along with people well. Vince has always used the good cop/bad cop routine, for example, right now, using John Laurinaitis in the bad cop role. Stephanie isn't bad as far as representing the company, but Shane is better socially and Stephanie is the one more like Vince when it comes to business and business decisions

This bothers me because it's really ass backwards. Stephanie has done nothing in the five or six years she's been in charge of creative to show that she's capable of running the show. They really haven't had one money producing angle creatively. Shane deserves an opportunity to work that role for awhile. It would make sense for both of the kids to have an opportunity to work every capacity within the company. I actually think that a combo of Shane and HHH would produce a really good product. It's been documented that Shane is really into MMA and UFC while HHH is big on old school wrestling. More reality and a back to the traditional basics approach to the product would seem like the way to go. It would seem that it's best for Stephanie to move into the PR type role and take over Vince and Linda's role of the media representative of the company. I think the media would eat up the fact that a woman is representing a male dominated industry and there would be a lot of attention to the story of daddy's little girl growing up learning the business from her dad and being surrounded by such strong personalities with all of that testosterone.

Christ, couldn't they at least go with the original plan and let Shane run ECW just to see how he does? Do all three shows have to be EXACTLY the same?